Thursday, January 20, 2005

Communication with my family

Many humans asked me how I communicate with my family. I have always said that it is through writing on paper. My family dun know a morsel of sign language, let alone alphabet. And they looked at me with disbelief.

U mean that since young, U have been writing with them?

I guess that it is high time for me to come clean abt my morse code.

Since the discovery of my deafness at the age of 1 + 1 + 1, my parents spent money on me jetting to HongKong and China together with them for "mysterious treatment" when I was very young. Me going there so excitedly, thinking that I go there to play, just to discover their well-intentioned but shocking gift - acupuncture. The sight of the thin and sharp needles were so frightening and gave me the cringe! However I was not sure if it had improved on my decibels cos I was too young to know my condition.

My mom brought me to speech school somewhere in Orchard Road. From there, I built up my speaking foundation. Every week, my Ang Moh teacher rewarded me with a star which gave me more incentives to come very faithfully without a miss!

I was sent to mainstream school and learnt more vocal words from my teacher who uses loud voice and sign lang at same time.

Moreover, my mom imparted a bit of Mandarin to me. So I am able to talk to my famiy but very simple phrases punctuated by mixed rojak of Chinese and English.

Now, you got the answer to ur curious qn. :-)

1 Meow Meow

At 4:38 PM, Blogger pepper cookie said...

i'll use mandarin phrases with u nex time :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home