Monday, February 28, 2005

Estranged Friendship of 17 years

It is one month away till International Day of the Deaf dinner which is gonna be a very big and retro (the theme of the dinner is 50s'.) 50th anniversary event at Copthorne Hotel. My gut feelings tell me that my good friend of 17 years will be there. Sad to say that we have been estranged for 1 year of wondering if he still hates me brutally for betraying his trust (un-intentionally). We haven't spoken a single word and seen each other during one year of hiatus. It is gonna be a blood-stained battle when we cross on each other's paths again at the dinner. Revised the possible scenarios of how I should behave when I see him. I will pretend not to see him, turn my eyes away from him, and strut past him. Second scenario - Crack a faint smile and say "how are you?". Third scenario - Spots me and stares draggers at me. Despite imagining all wild scenarios, it hasn't equipped me for the crisis well, I feel.

Nostalgic Friendship
Our friendship of 17 years started from the day one of school when a new boy came into my classroom and was shocked to see us, kids gesticulating in sign language. He was from another school, transferred to my school when he was discovered to be so slow in his studies. He dun know sign language yet. I was the queen of the class. It is like Ah Lian leader with a gang of girls at her command. Except that my hair is not coloured loud, only plain and natural black and there are no super-mini skirt, PVC white boots and yellow luminous top in my wardrobe. I thought that it is cool to poke fun at him. Commanded my classmates to make his life miserable like blocking his way when he was copying down from the blackboard.

Always disturbing him during lessons. He nearly flunked his exams because of me. I was always bugging him to watch night programmes for me when he was supposed to be studying. We were terribly weak in studies that our teacher dragged our feet for remedials on even days if my memory is not wrong. We hate remedials that I conspired with him to trick our teacher into thinking that time had moved faster on our watches so we could go home earlier.

These years saw us through the times when he taught me that a baby is conceived through kissing on lips, and that Dr Martens is a branded shoes, visited him when he mutilated his leg ( he never visit me when I broke my toe last year.), and shared his suspicions with me that our classmate played a prank on my telephone number to test if my number is right. I was there when he broke out in 2-weeks' chicken pox, and yet had to go to school to do his O levels exams in this polka-dot condition. I was there when he smoked, dressed Blueberry Polo t-shirt and Valentio jeans very Ah Beng and fought with others ( gonna fight...but nothing happened.) I was not (yes, it is not a typo. It is written "Not" accurately!) there when he solemnised his marriage with his wife, I have yet to meet her, last year.

Discovery of My Feelings
We were so close in our junior school till we went to same high school, and the close proximity between us became distant. We had our own stuffs/people to play with. My eyes were busy looking at other guys. :-P So did his spectacled eyes on girls. But still it didn't stop me from smiling blushingly for no reasons whenever I see him. People look at me with ??? on their face, thinking that most possibly my sane brain cells have became screwbolts. Their super-radar eyes can see that I am fond of him. Feeling so embarrassed and shy, I did not know what to do and kept quiet abt it. Anyway he knew that I was very crazy abt other guys, and I suppose he was assured that he was "safe" from me.

My Silly Smile
Next time, when you see my silly smile upon the sight of him, it is not because I am fond of him. I am just too happy to see him. After all, he is my good friend who roped me in his conspiracy to fool the teacher in primary school.

0 Meow Meow

Post a Comment

<< Home