Thursday, March 03, 2005

Investigation of My Speech

Went for my first session of speech rehabilitation at Tan Tock Seng hospital, government-funded, to improve on my speech articulation and to expand my library of spoken words. My current library is not as good as others who can speak thousands of words. Me can only speak hundreds of words which is a far cry from Primary One. So I decided to take up linguistic challenge, undaunted by my age, 25 years old.

At the hospital, I had a little chat with my speech therapist, Lousia abt my educational background. I was puzzled why she asked me abt this and couldn't see how it can help in my speech rehabilitation. To assess my library and how well I can speak, she gave me a list of words and took video of me reciting the list with my defective speech. I felt as if I am a newscaster, reporting news on TV but I loved it! After that, there were some more tests to be taken in front of camcorder - to talk abt myself and to talk to my mom who was with me. At the end of the examination, she concluded that I need to work on my tongue-twisting, and she would go thru the tape b4 she can decide on how she can help me for the next session.

I was very impressed with Lousia's thorough investigation, unlike my previous and ineffectual therapist who simply booted me up on a list of words, shaked her head when I mis-pronounced words, corrected my mis-pronounced words with a hint of impatience in her voice, and gave me instructions to practise it at home. All was done in express 30 mins and it was my first session. And I didn't turn up for 2nd arranged by appointment session with her.

0 Meow Meow

Post a Comment

<< Home