Monday, April 25, 2005

Depressing Life of Ex-Web Designer

If I hadn't been served with pink slip a few months ago, it would mark one year's working experience for me at my previous company. I joined my company last year April.

My company was very small, only 5 of us and start-up. I dun mind working for small boys as I believe that I can learn a lot from them. My colleagues are good to me. Even my boss installed MSN for easier communication. The working hours are great, 9.30am to 6.30pm. Can sleep longer and dun have to jostle with passengers in crammed buses. Moreoever it is ideally located in city. Within a few seconds' walk down from my office, there are rows of restaurants and pubs:
1. Killney Kopitiam
2. Garibaldi, a classy and posh Italian restaurant. Their lunch set costs twice $20. Be sure to dress up very classy and throw in some glittering jewellery. Please prepare some tips for their valet if you drive a car.
3. First Thai, a humble and homely non-airconditioned restaurant that cooks very tasty but expensive food. It is very popular with people that you would find them queuing up outside on weekends. Even they do not accept reservations. First come, first serve basis.

And many more pubs. I cannot remember the names of these pubs.

Can steal 2 hours for lunch and moreover girly shopping with my sweetie colleague at Suntec City, Raffles City and Bugis Junction.

These things sound fabulous and dreamy,isn't it?

Yes, it looks cool on surface. But little was known that I was very depressed. It was very horrendous working at their small space where the air was not very fresh and in fact, stale. The air-conditoner was very lousy, gave out very little air. It was as good as working in oven. I had to tahan it every day from Mon to Fri, 9 hours per day. The toilet flush was ineffectual too. Whenever I flushed it, it made a very weak swilling of water and the body materials were not able to be washed away 100%. Had to flush it a few times. My nite-owl colleague always worked at nite while we worked in day. In mornings, when I came to office, it was very upsetting to see yellow water in toilet bowl. Sometimes would see tiny splatters of dried-up urine on edges of toilet bowl,by courtesy of my nite-owl. He is a smoker and puffed in office while working at nite. So I tended to be confronted with upseting stench whenever I stepped into office in mornings.

As I am not meticulous ( artsy, creative and left-handed people have low eye for details. If U observe, u will realise a grain of truth in it. ), I tended to make a lot of gaffes like wrong address, wrong number on the website. No matter how hard I tried, still the small details could escape from my eyes. I checked the tel number on my website again and again. It looked perfectly right to me till my colleague pointed it out some typo on tel number. It was so embarassing for my colleagues to point my gaffes out to me many times. My nite-owl is an expert in IT so I, myself non-tech geekie cannot understand when he was explaining something technical to me. I dun know how to make my technical qns articulate so how to speak Martian's language esp when I am from Earth. When I did something wrong unawarely, it made him very angry to the point that he cc my colleagues when "scolding me" in BIG LETTERS thru email. He had explained to me many times and yet I never failed to repeat it again and again. That made him very MAD!!!

What a demoralising experience for me. I wanted to leave the company but had no idea where to go. So when I was given pink slip as anticipated, I was not surprised at all. My company was in bad financial shape; my payments for salary were not on time every time, and ex-employees and suppliers and etc always hounded our telephone and asked this recurrent question, " When is your boss going to pay me?".

My pink slip was in a blessing in disguise; it spared me of suffering very miserably and demoralisingly. When people asked me why I left my job, I refused to tell them because it was psychologically bad enough for me to go through stale air given out by air-con, stench of smoking, stained edges of toilet bowl, making mistakes abt my work and my colleague's harsh scolding. Telling them is as good as walking through these scenes back like history.

0 Meow Meow

Post a Comment

<< Home